Henry

I have discovered over the years that different people have different
opinions on what is safe and what is not. With wood turning I use no
gloves. I also watch where I put my hands. By using bare hands I am able
to tell the quality of the turning, but I do not put my hand on the bowl
until I know that it is safe. I think that if the lathe is able to grab a
glove than it is also able to grab a glove. The bigger question is where
are you placing your hand.

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
When I started turning (two years ago) I wore a heavy leather glove on my
left hand but reading various posts I became nervous about the safety of
using the glove so stopped. Yesterday while roughing out a piece of
hardwood I got a splinter driven up my knuckle at my little finger, had to
have it out at the hospital, hurts like hell at the moment. I'm most
definitely going back to the leather glove unless there is an alternative
which is safer while protecting against this type of accident. Any vets
have guidance on this?

--
Bill Gooch
Kemptville, ON.