MLD

"Dan" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies. The thing with this setup is the meter & valve
are INSIDE the basement (there is a main shutoff under a cover in the
front sidewalk down by the curb). Just the same, I have to think if the
METER which is AFTER this valve fails, it would not be my problem. The
valve began leaking after I shut the water off a couple times due to
going out of town for several weeks in the cold weather. It appears to
be leaking at the packing around the valve stem, easy to fix were it not
for the WATER being on ;-) I think I'll see if it calcifies & stops
leaking after a bit, as it has in the past. Mean time I'll call the
city, but wanted to get an idea of how this usually goes befire I do.
I've seen short wrenches for the outside valve at hardware stores. I
bent one 180 degrees one time trying to shut off the water at my inlaws
house in LA, but there the valve was only inches beneath the cover; here
it's a good 2-3 feet. I can just imagine what condition the thing is
in, having never been shut off for the 40 years my family has owned this
house ;-(

Dan

Abe wrote:
The water shutoff valve just before the meter in my basement has begun
to leak. Probably about a gallon a week, judging from the amount in the
bucket I put below the valve. Simple enough problem I would likely
handle myself, except for shutting the water off at the curb. I've seen
them do this with a neighborhood deadbeat (apparently behind on their
bill), they use a wrench about 4 feet long which I don't possess.
Anyway, before I pay a plumber, it did occur to me that since this is
BEFORE the meter, perhaps it's the city water dept's problem. Anyone

know?

TIA Dan

------------
It's pretty universal that the city/county is responsible up to and
including the meter at the curb. Anything past the meter is your
responsibility.

You can get the water meter shutoff wrench at Lowe's/Home Depot for a
few bucks.

Don't be tempted to shut off the curb water yourself. My shutoff valve also
leaked and I replaced it with a ball valve. My plumber refused to shut off
the outside water "too many bad tings happen". When the city shut off the
water the shaft extension (from ground to the valve underground) broke in
half. Result was that they had to tear up the street to get at the valve,
install a new shaft extension, fill the hole and re-hot top the street.
Plumber made the right decision.
MLD