nospambob

Wood glue needs wood pores that haven't been sealed by stain with
binder or glue, AKA fresh clean wood. Agree with wedged tenon concept
though downside is you get ONE chance only. Boat builders suggest
epoxy with microbaloons although they're not reversible. Second don't
tilt back in chairs.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:24:02 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

I have two wooden chairs that are coming apart and I want to glue them back
together. The rungs/cross-pieces that connect the chair legs together keep
coming out, which makes the chairs unstable.

In the past, I have used wood glue (carpenter's glue) to fix other wooden
chairs, but that never seems to work very well.

I was just wondering if Liquid Nails, or Contact Cement, or some other type
of glue might work better. My reason for wondering about Liquid Nails or
Contact Cement is that I think they both remain slightly flexible/elastic
while wood glue becomes brittle and seems to crack easily.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what might work best?

Wood glue SHOULD work fine.
Clean the post and socket(s) thoroughly. Cut a vertical slot in the
tennon and stick a glue-coated wedge part-way in, so that when you
shove the crossbar home, it will expand the tennon. With that
clamped together, drill a small pilot hole, and pin the entire
assembly together with a short wire-nail, or if the leg is
thick enough, a countersunk screw. Don't go nuts with the wedge,
if it's too big, you risk splitting the leg. Stop tilting back in
your wooden chairs.

--Goedjn