Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies. The thing with this setup is the meter & valve
are INSIDE the basement (there is a main shutoff under a cover in the
front sidewalk down by the curb). Just the same, I have to think if the
METER which is AFTER this valve fails, it would not be my problem. The
valve began leaking after I shut the water off a couple times due to going
out of town for several weeks in the cold weather. It appears to be
leaking at the packing around the valve stem, easy to fix were it not for
the WATER being on ;-)

The meter belongs to the city/town, but the piping belongs to you.

Have you tried to gently tighten the packing nut? Sometimes that is all
that is needed.