DIY Novice

Thanks for your replies even the slightly sarcastic ones!

I tried the Home Strip stuff and was not impressed, it seems to only
remove one coat at a time and would take weeks of effort. (£8.50 down
the drain)

I then tried Peel Away 1 and it was superb. You apply generously with
a spatula and put a sheet of paper on top to stop it drying out. Leave
for 25 hours and the whole lot comes away beautifully. It works really
well on decorative areas where you can put a really thick layer. A
bucket of hot water , a scrubbing brush and a kitchen roll later and
it was almost complete.

A few spots remained on I dabbed a second layer and left for a few
hours before scrubbing off. It really is quite easy and very
satisfying.

If any of you are thinking of doing this give it a go before even
considering removing the fireplace to be sand blasted which definitely
seems to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

I've put some WD40 on it for the time being until I decide whether or
not to paint it and it looks really good.