Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:35:24 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Badger wrote:

.... snip
The Brits are great at names that convey the thing they name
Jaguar
Triumph
Matchless
Nomad
Panther Cub
(ok so the Royal Enfield was a stretch)

And their warships sound like warships
HMS Invinceable
HMS Indominable
HMS Vindicator
HMS Get the **** Out of MY Ocean
(got carried away - sorry.)

Ours
Indiana
Forrestal
Carl Vincent (?)

Their fighter planes
Spitfire
Harrier

Ours
P-38
B-29

Not exactly:

P-38 Lightning
B-29 Superfortress
B-17 Flying Fortress
B-24 Liberator
P-51 Mustang
F-15 Eagle
F-22 Raptor
F-16 Falcon
F-117 Nighthawk

I'd say we have a pretty good history of naming things. Although I grant
you the Brit's choice for warships is pretty good. Ours were more for
states (battleships), and for people of note (Kennedy, Reagan, Forrestal,
Eisenhower). OTOH, our sub class name choices aren't too bad: Sea Wolf,
Poseidon, Trident. Some of our missile choices are pretty good: Sidewinder,
Tomahawk, Maverick, HARM, Javelin, Minuteman, Titan.

charlie b

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody