Kevin Miller

Bill Gooch wrote:
When I started turning (two years ago) I wore a heavy leather glove on my
left hand but reading various posts I became nervous about the safety of
using the glove so stopped. Yesterday while roughing out a piece of
hardwood I got a splinter driven up my knuckle at my little finger, had to
have it out at the hospital, hurts like hell at the moment. I'm most
definitely going back to the leather glove unless there is an alternative
which is safer while protecting against this type of accident. Any vets
have guidance on this?

IMHO, it's best to have a handwheel on your lathe to slow it down or
rotate it. I can't think of any reason to touch a moving vessel if it's
only roughed out. I will touch the spinning wood after I've sanded it
but make a habit of not touching rough wood for that very reason. If
you weren't trying to touch the wood, then you weren't paying close
enough attention.

Hope I don't sound harsh here - sorry for your wound - but injuries
almost always happen due to inattention or taking a shortcut. What
would have happened if that splinter had been driven into your leather
glove and grabbed it? I think you probably go off lucky compared to
what might have happened. YMMV...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller