George

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
When I started turning (two years ago) I wore a heavy leather glove on my
left hand but reading various posts I became nervous about the safety of
using the glove so stopped. Yesterday while roughing out a piece of
hardwood I got a splinter driven up my knuckle at my little finger, had to
have it out at the hospital, hurts like hell at the moment. I'm most
definitely going back to the leather glove unless there is an alternative
which is safer while protecting against this type of accident. Any vets
have guidance on this?

Don't wear 'em on your clumsy hand. To use a word which was new to many
here a couple years back, your hand has proprioception - a sense of its own
position - which is easily fooled by gloves, even tight ones. If you wear
on your good hand to diminish the shock of roughing, remember you need only
a palm section, not finger covering. The nastiest hand injuries I've run
have been glove catches - or rings.

Your experience makes me appreciate the cowardly way I cut once again. No
way anything like a splinter can catch me.