Ed Huntress

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Tim Killian" wrote in message
It must all be in the bits. In a fit of naive foolishness about twenty
years ago, I placed a router, its bit spinning at 25K RPM against some
.062 aluminum sheet, I only needed to shave off a few thou -- BAM!

The bit was trashed, the aluminum was trashed, and by the grace of God
no blood flowed. I vowed then and there to never try anything involving
hand-held routers and aluminum again.

That's probably the smarter course of action. Because of some revious
experience I knew I'd need a pretty solid fixture, so I went to some
lengths
to make sure that was the case. Still, I approached it very carefully,
holding onto the router like a drowning man holding a life ring, and
cutting
in small bites.

--
Ed Huntress

I have routed aluminum with wood bits and a variable speed router on low
speed, worked great, but I advise against doing it!
Greg

There's another man who knows the value of caution.

A variable-speed router sounds like a nice thing. When do you use the lower
speeds? With bigger cutters, or are there other purposes for it?

--
Ed Huntress