Tony

You can fit a Southbend 16x 10 in a Ford E-150 van. You remove the legs and
motor cabinet and slide the bed in up against the doghouse.

Tony

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
news
Gary Brady wrote:

wrote:

I have the opportunity to buy a South Bend lathe. It is a 16"x12'
bed. It won't turn but about 9' between centers though. It has a
motor with 4 v-belts jackshafted to a 4 step flat pully up to the
headstock. It is fairly old (I think the headstock is babbit bearings)
but is is pretty good shape considering it has set in a tractor shed
for the last 10 years, getting a douche of diesel every month to keep
it from rusting. It has a 4 jaw chuck and he said there might be some
other tooling somewhere(?) I am a woodworker with dreams of turning
long bedposts on it if nothing else, but if it cheap enough I may sell
it and buy some woodworking tools with the profit. I saw where one
almost like it (10'bed) did not sell on Ebay for the $2750.00 start
price.

What should I offer for this?

Thanks

Jamie Norwood

I went to an auction about a year ago and there was a large lathe there,
I'd say about 16"x60", old, very heavy, don't remember what type it was.
The auctioneer tried to start the bidding at $1000. It finally sold
for $50, only one bidder gave the nod. By contrast, an Atlas 10x36
would sell for over $1000 in Central Texas.

That would turn the long spindle needed in the drill press tonight - :-)

Think - what size of truck will it take to haul it where ever.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer