shinypenny

Dan wrote:
I have been searching for days for any sort of guidance on this

question,
with no luck so far. What stone/finish combinations are suitable for

bathroom floor tiling? Lots of stores, web sites, books, etc,

mention
that highly polished stones can be slippery in wet conditions, and

that you
need to be careful; but, I can never seem to find any specifics about

what
finishes are safe with what stones. Anyone know of a resource that

has
this info? Stones of potential interest are slate, marble,

limestone,
granite, travertine, possibly others.

We have marble in all three bathrooms. It is very pretty and easy to
maintain. Yes, it gets a bit slippery when wet, but we use throw rugs
so it's never really been an issue. You need the rugs, or slippers or
socks, because the floor is very cold on your feet. It is not pleasant
to go in there in the middle of the night with bare feet in the winter
time. :-)

To maintain it I simply swiffer to get up the dust and hair, then run
the floor steamer (hot water only - never use ammonia or bleach or
anything like that) on it once a week. Every 6 months I spray with
marble polish. Ours is a light colored marble, and one problem I did
have was when I spilled blue toilet cleaner on it accidentally. I
didn't mop it up in time and it left a blue stain.

jen