Dave P

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave P wrote:
Problem is that I've discovered that although there are (concrete)
lintels fitted over the inner leaf of the cavity wall, there ain't
nothing over the outer leaf.

I'd be amazed if this were the case. The average wood window frame just
ain't capable of supporting any part of a wall.

Well it would be very nice if you're right about that; however (see earlier
post) this was the diagnosis of a structural engineer. I've just found and
read the post cited by Old Bill (thanks, Old Bill!) which is at:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...818fc381c51658 -
ah, what the hell, here's a cut and paste: below - it makes interesting
reading:

Dave

From: Jareth
Date: 2000/06/17
Subject: "Can't you see mate? I've got double glazing already!" - PART 1

How we all get ticked off by window companies canvassing for trade - even if
it is blatantly obvious that I already have a full compliment of replacement
windows, roofline, conservatory, porch and even the garage door. I have no
such problem when they call. I put them on the spot and ask "Just what are
the benefits to me of taking out my windows and installing theirs?"

The majority of double-glazing customers know little about the products they
buy. Most buy on price without giving a thought to just how long the company
has been trading or what their track record is. Anyone considering making a
capital investment in their home should first check out with Trading
Standards officers, the Consumer Council, the GGF, local newspapers and
consumer rights programmes/publications.'Safebuy UK', 'CPA', 'Fair Trades'
endorsements do not carry the same level of benefits as the GGF.

Avoid being guided by friends who mean well but who might not be aware of
the shortfalls of their own installation, eg. discoloration, distortion &
warping, splitting and cracking of PVCu, security issues, failure of sealed
units, etc. A warranty which is insurance-backed may not be worth the paper
it's written on.

The exclusion of lintels is the most common practice of many local firms and
some national companies. Did you never wonder how their prices could be so
much lower than everyone elses? How can you tell if you need a lintel?
Indicators could be soldier bricks (vertical or end-on) or creasing tiles
(ceramic) over a window casement. Try sliding a metal rule under the seal at
the top of the window and see if there is the metallic lip of a boot lintel
or beam. If you have plastic windows already see if the is any evidence of
distortion in the horizontal members of the window or door frame. Do windows
and doors catch the frame when closing? Are there cracks in the brickwork
above patio doors and windows? Are any sealed units with cracks running
diagonally? The exclusion of lintels undermines the structural integrity of
your home and contravenes building regulations. Check also for trickle vents
to rooms with a gas supply (even if it is no longer used).

The quality of the product and service will be reflected in both the price
and in the reputation the company has. The local firm frequently are
fabricators and sub-contract out for the manufacture and supply of
components. British Standard Kitemarks and guarantees often are held by the
supplier so any claims made, eg. "Installers of Kitemarked Windows" or
"Security by Design" need to be ignored. If they are not BS EN ISO 9002
registered they cannot make any claim to BS Kitemarks.