LRod

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:42:59 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
LRod wrote:

Come on. Be fair. Do apples to apples. If you insist on calling the
Lightning (pretty good name, I think) a P-38, then you have to refer
to the Spitfire as the Supermarine Type 300 MK (whatever).

That brings us to the A-10 ...Warthog....aptly named... in a Julia
Roberst sort of way.

Actually, the official name is Thunderbolt II. Warthog is an
unofficial, affectionate name given to her by aircrew. You can tell
it's a Republic airplane by the wide track of the main gear. Looks
just like the Jug, the Thud (also unofficial names), and the F-84
Thunderstreak.

The late Jeff Ethel, when doing a flying demonstration of the P-47,
said that it took a lot of runway landing it. He said, "if you could
build a runway around the world, Republic would build an airplane that
would use all of it."

I think the A-10 is one impressive bird. A frickin' tank with wings.
One of my favourite all-time aircraft.

Me too.

SR-71....another great one.

Yep.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net