On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:20:52 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Charlie Self"
wrote:

use a wooden, rawhide (my preference) or plastic
mallet.

Rawhide ? really?

I have plenty of rawhide mallets that I use for coppersmithing, but
I've never heard of anyone using them to drive chisels before - always
wood.

I have a few rawhide mallets. every once in a while one or another of
them will be used to drive a chisel, like if the mallet happens to be
out at the time or is the right weight for the cut or whatever.
usually I do use a wood mallet, but I don't have a rule about it....