jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

HSS is not as critical as to how it's applied, but when it is a concern, one
selects tool steel high in cobalt, which offers tougher conditions at
elevated temperatures. Any HSS will work for aluminum, especially if you
understand chip breakers and rake angles.

It'll work fine even if he doesn't have a chipbreaker - but has a
sharp tool with even reasonable postive rake. I'm suprised this
wasn't more of an issue here - my experience with *coated* carbide
inserts is that they actually work pretty poorly for aluminum,
especially so for small depth cuts. Coated inserts have a honed
edge so the coating will adhere well - but that feature effective
turns them into negative rake tools for small depth cuts.

Jim

please reply to: