Holly, in France

Andy Dingley wrote in message
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Holly, in France"
wrote:

Anyone know whether the tungsten nozzles are really worth buying? We
only have older ceramic ones.

Plain steel tube works just as well. Of course it wears out faster,
but then we're not talking about long usage here.

I think that would depend on the diameter of the air line pipe and the
power of the compressor. Since we use a big compressor with a heavy
pipe, it would just blast out too much sand much too quickly without a
tapered nozzle. Much too much sand in fact :-)

Completely OT, but does anyone else find that a word used alot, like
much in this case, suddenly seems odd? Same thing happened to me with
shrub the other day. Or is it just me?! :-)

The propane cylinder blaster I use was mde from a cylinder,
plumbing parts, thick
rubber hose and workshop scrap - no "grit blaster" parts at all.

We really made only the pots. We scrounged bits of leftover hose but
bought the clunk click turn type of connectors which go onto the
compressor and join bits of hose to allow for different hose lengths,
and put the same type of connector onto the pot. Easier to take to bits
and put together again for transport when working on site. Also
scrounged old worn nozzles and bought a couple of finer ones. We bought
a water separator, which was invaluable in Ireland using recycled sand,
but isn't necessary here where dried sand is available more cheaply and
doesn't get damp if sieved and re-used quickly.The air might be dryer
here too. Wouldn't bother buying one now to start off with, but would
get one if water caused a problem. Also the helmet, which has been vital
for some of our jobs, but I see from another posting that you have a DIY
version.

It's worth swapping nozzles around a bit to vary diameter.
Sandblasting is thirsty work for air and few of us have compressors
really up to the job. If the lower velocity is still adequate, a
bigger nozzle will give you more, slower, grit for the same air
consumption.

Yes, can see how that would work.
--
Holly, in France.