Dave Jones

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

So I need to 'break and loop' into the existing 'downstairs' ring, and

Yes

take that through the conservatory ? Just to confirm, I can't run two
rings from one 32A MCB ? (which was what I was getting at)

No.

Interesting

You can run a spur from a ring circuit, and it is legitimate to have the
spur originate at the CU if required. Unless separately fused however you
would only be able to supply a single outlet on that spur. Running two
ring circuits from a single MCB would not be not common practice...

with a bit of luck someone will be along shortly to quote you the regs
reference ;-)

Do you not have a spare way on the CU? Since that would be the preferable
place to run either a new ring circuit for the conservatory, or a radial
if that would be simpler.

There are no spare slots in the CU, see:-

http://www.mark.carver.dsl.pipex.com/cu.jpg (132k jpg)

By rights you should upgrade the CU as all downstairs skts should be
protected by a 32mA MCB

It's as old as the house, (20 years). The 16A breaker feeds an (emergency
only) immersion heater. Could I upgrade that breaker to 32A
(assuming suitable MCBs still exist for my model of CU ?) and run the new
ring main from there, making the immersion heater effectively a
spur ?

--
Mark