Colin Jacobs

Mix saw dust with 75% grass cuttings in a co,post bin for a year. Or tumble
into a compost tumbler.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Rusty Richards wrote:

As a newbie, I will be sanding a lot of red oak and wanted to know what
will happen if I put the saw dust in the garden? The soil around here
is mostly clay. Is this what it needs?

Yes and no...oak is very rich in tannic acid which isn't conducive to
most veggies, etc.

At least compost it before adding it to the garden and a heavy dose of
lime to neutralize pH will help. The clay will benefit from added
humus, but you need to test the soil for needed nutrients and acidity
before just dumping stuff in if you want to really improve the soil for
growing stuff, that is. The rhod'ys and azaelas will like it,
though...they need acidic soils.