Rick Cox

Default Jet 18" bs Review for Bob G.

Good morining,
A local woodworking store here in Columbus had a special on Jet 18"
(jwbs18b) for $899.00. My father bought one and Bob G. wanted a review of
the set up.

First let me say that my father and I are not pros and really just getting
into woodworking. My dad especailly likes to turn on the lathe and saw Nahm
get a turning blank out of the fire pile. My dad cut a few blanks from his
burn pile on his old craftsman 12" band saw and was not happy with the
results so he got the jet.

The Jet was well crated and fairly easy to move around.
Once we unpacked it and set it on the garage floor I noticed that it didnt
have adjustable feet. Luckly the floor where we put it was level.

We assembled the parts per the manual and everything went fine there. The
instructions tell you to adjust the blade guides before you put the table on
because it is easier They were not kidding. The top guides are really easy
to adjust and the bottom guides are not as easy even with the top off.

The bottom guides assembly sits on a bracket that attaches to the machine
with 2 allen head bolts. Under the bracket is a blade guard that gets in the
way when you are trying to adjust the guides. It is really easy to get the
bracket to twist and not be parallel with the blade. Also the bottom guides
are have one nut to secure them in place so you have to hold both adjusting
knobs while you tighten the nut so the guides stay in place. That was ok
with me but hard on my father (arthritus).

Now you put the table on.....

The table assembly was easy and the fence went together quickly and we were
ready to try it out.

We used the 3/4" blade that shipped with the say and cut up some old fire
wood and were satisified with the results.

On my way out I bought a 5/8 Olson Proline skip tooth blade to try out
because I had heard how bad the stock blade is so we switched the blades
out.

With the table on the bandsaw the lower guide adjustments were really a
PITA. Mostly because of the bracket adjustmet with the allen bolts.
That is my only real complaint.

The olson blade was great, cut well and faster than the stock.

All and All I would say that I would purchase one myself and be very happy
with it, but I am going to try to re engineer the lower guide adjustments...

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions

Rick Cox