Mark Carver

Lurch wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:03:17 +0000, Mark Carver
strung together this:

I wish to add a small ring of 13A sockets (6 x 13A double sockets) in a
new conservatory. As the downstairs ring is rather busy with kitchen
appliances etc, I am planning to add this new ring to the 'upstairs' MCB.

A: Can I do this ?

Depends on the floor area. For a 32A ring circuit you should not be
supplying more than 100m^2.

That's OK then. The entire house is 120 m^2 (served by two 32A
circuits), so upstairs will be 60ish. The conservatory is 14m^2.

B: Can I take a 6.0mm T&E from the consumer unit to the conservatory,
and connect the other end to the new 2.5mm ring closer to the
conservatory ?

No. If you are going to add extra sockets to an existing ring then you
need to extend the ring through the new sockets. You can either do
this from an existing socket in the house or from the CU but you need
to 'divert' one leg of the ring through the new sockets.

So I need to 'break and loop' into the existing 'downstairs' ring, and
take that through the conservatory ? Just to confirm, I can't run two
rings from one 32A MCB ? (which was what I was getting at)

However, this is all covered by Part P as it's a reasonably major
project so you should be NICEIC registered to carry out this, you
don't sound very NICEIC like?

I'm not, and what's Part P? ;-)

--
Mark