Charlie Self

Nick Huckaby asks:

I bought four sets of chisels from a used place. The kind with a light
green
see-thru handle and a black trim - no brand. It performed fine for a
few
weeks until a pearl sized chip came off in sections from the tip of the
green
handle which I did not notice earlier. I was chiseling against the
grain of the
wood, not along the grain as instructed from a book. But, I've chiseled
against
the grain with a 10-year old Stanley (with a non-see-thru plastic
handle) without
problems.

The problem is that a few of the green see-thru chisels have 10-15
percent
chips gone from its plastic striking surface. Since that day I am more
careful.
I'm not sure whether the cause is the a 12-oz. iron hammer or the way I
pound
them. What's the best way to repair these tool?

First, the chisels didn't break. The handles did. Second, the chisels
didn't break, you broke them.

I don't know where you got an iron hammer, but use a mallet, instead of
a steel hammer. Now, you can take the handles off, turn new handles,
install them and use a wooden, rawhide (my preference) or plastic
mallet.