andrewpreece

"doozer" wrote in message
While people are already thinking about filling gaps in floors (see an
earlier post about cork beading) I have a similar question.

We have, courtesy of the previous owners, sanded and varnished
floorboards in our living room and hall. The gaps between boards range
from basically nothing to about 4 or 5 mm. My SO doesn't mind them but
they bug me because I can feel each board under foot. I would like to
fill the gaps with something but, as it's a big job that think could
ruin an otherwise very good floor, I would like your advice.

Things I have read about:

Cork: Ok but will it last and how do I get it in the smaller gaps.

Sealant (silicone or otherwise): If flush I don't think it will last.

Caulking (as done on ships): Not bad but hard work and will likely leave
ridges.

Slivers of wood: Nice idea if you can get hold of them. Will need to
re-sand and varnish floor though.

Any other ideas?

If you think that I am being bugged by nothing feel free to say.
Everyone else I have spoken to (except what I am sure is B&Qs oldest
employee) things that I am mad for even caring.

Cheers

Graham

FWIW I filled my gaps with natural wood colour acrylic frame sealant. I also
( belt and braces ) caulked the gaps first with twisted hemp. One year on
things are fine: a few gaps have opened in the sealant, since wood moves,
and there must be something about this winter that has made it move more
than the last, but the
gaps are only about 1 - 1.5mm max, and then only along a few boards. I shall
probably reseal them with more frame sealant, but frankly there's no real
need.
Just my two penn'orth. I just realised that it is not draught or fluff or
spiders crawling through the gaps that annoys you, it is merely feeling the
gaps via your stocking feet! I have to say I have never even really
considered the feeling of the gaps on my feet, but the frame sealant is
actually slightly depressed wrt the boards so there certainly is a gap to
feel. I think you will have to consider something tougher than frame sealant
if you wish to make the gaps undetectable to the touch. Why don't you wear
some slippers!

Andy.