Adrian

Default Secondhand washing machine motor

Hi all
I'm looking to use a 2nd-hand washing machine motor to power some lapidary
equipment.
The last time I did this (quite a few years (decades!) ago) ISTR that the motor
we used had very simple connections - as in LN & E.

While fixing the pump motor on our current washing machine the other day, I
noticed that the main motor on this one has what looks like 4 wires going into
the motor - and an outboard capacitor (or 2) - possibly motor start caps ??

Our local scrapyard is just up the road in the next village - but I just wanted
to check with the group on the following points :-

a) What's the usual connection arrangement for washing machine motors nowadays
- if the additional cables are for alternative speeds then all I need is
1750rpm

b) When disembowelling a washing machine to get at the motor, how much of the
'peripheral' bits do I need to collect in order to ensure a working setup.

I realise that the precise details may vary between manufacturers and models -
but generic advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK