Robert Swinney

It seems to me a drill mounted in the tailstock chuck would "seek" true
center the same as if you were drilling into a spindle mounted chuck. OTOH
a boring operation would tend to preserve any off-center effects done on
either end.

Bob Swinney
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I want to center drill a large shaft. The shaft is about 24" long and
is from an old machine tool, but the ends were never drilled for centers.
The shaft is too big to pass through my lathe spindle. I can suss out how
to face the shaft off square, lay out and centerpunch a hole as closely
as I can, and I can then chuck one end of the shaft on the last 1/8" of
the jaws and hold the other end in my hand and gently "pick up" the
centerpunch with a center drill in the tailstock chuck. That way would
get me pretty close, but it would not be exact. I could then mount it
on a center in the tailstock and bring up a steady rest and then remove
the tailstock center and using a tiny boring tool, bore the center, but
how do I know the steady rest isn't just a little bit off?

What is the *actual* procedure for this?

Grant