Adam Preble

larry wrote:
When dealing with chocolate, you should use a double pot. bottom pot
has water to heat up the top pot which has the chocolate. if you only
use one pot to melt, you have to use a very, very low heat. it's not
the fault of the temp probe. chocolate burns very easy, and the pot
catches the heat from a very hot flame, and conducts it too fast.

if you used an IR type sensor, you have to worry about getting false
readings off the pan and the heat waves from the side of the pan
eminating from the flame itself.

LarryLarry

Well I wasn't just melting chocolate, but making fudge from it. There
is a pretty specific temperature I need to reach, just like when making
candy. I don't have a candy thermometer (yet), and I was thinking the
digital one would be able to work. Unfortunately, the probe was
under-reporting the heat, and I ended up scalding the whole mess. I
don't really see why there can't be a way to use a digital thermometer
for that kind of thing.