Owain

Yes, I think that`s the conclusion I`m being drawn to. Which brings me
to my next question: The garden that I`m going to cover has an L
shaped path running along the front of the house, and out to the
street. Can the tarmac be put over this, or does it have to come up?
If the latter, why? And does the answer also pertain to concrete?
(Just in case I go mad and decide to have that!)

I think the path has to come up, at least back to hardcore. Thin layers
of surface tarmac break up. See the pavingexpert.com site for details
The advantage of tarmac (bitumen macadam) is that the wearing layer can
be renewed very easily without affecting the underlying structure.

Owain