Don

Good points Mike, thanks.
This week I will be putting my hands all over the local models that interest
me, and researching on the web.
I can't wait to get this thing in the shop.
Coincedently I was reading a FWW mag from last year (#169) last night, and
they did a test on the major bandsaw blades, so I now have the skinny on
that stuff.

wrote in message
Don...

With a budget maximum of $500.00, you've got to forget some of the
bigger, dressed out machines being mentioned here. If money is no
object and you simply want the 14" size, sure the Powermatic could be
the choice.

I'm in the same boat, but I'd be willing to spend $500 on a local
machine provided it was a name brand, like Delta or Jet. At the local
woodcraft store they have the 14" Rikon which is a welded steel frame
as opposed to cast iron. It can't be fitted with a riser block, but
if your projects don't require 12" resaw capabilities, then you might
want to check it out because it's $499.00 brand-new. I has a huge
table, full base cabinet, hest-sinked motor and more. Don't forget
most 14" bandsaws can do a 6" resaw if you need some veneer.

Another somewhat lesser known brand is Bridgewood, and I think their
14" is $599.00 and it's a Euro-style like the Rikon and bigger Jets,
Deltas, and Lagunas.

For $549.00 I think you can still get the Delta with a closed base and
quick-release lever. Basically the machine all others are judged by.
Lowes has a basic Delta open-stand version for $399.00.

Then there's General, and their 14" saw which is a sort of Delta clone
and it sells for $499.00 also, but comes with a rip fence and miter
gauge. I could be wrong but I think it also has a flex-neck blower
and a tension bar. Woodcraft is just starting to get the General line
in stock, so I'm waiting for them to get a 14" bandsaw so I can
compare it to the Delta, Jet, Rikon and Powermatic.

Delta dealers are all over the place and you can readily get parts and
tons of accessories for a 35 year-old Delta bandsaw. That's something
to consider too.

MIke

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:21:06 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

I'm wanting to buy a Bandsaw and only want to spend about $500 +
accessories.
I've looked at the Jet & Delta 14" models with open stands and like both,
but I don't really know what I'm looking at.
(I like the Jet the best)
I read the stuff over at Woodcraft about setting one up properly.
So my question is, what features should I be looking at to make a
determination on what to buy?
I'm pretty much a long term novice at this stuff and my interest is in
making lawn furniture and miscellaneous woodworking, home repair and hobby
projects.
Thanks.