B.B.

In article kP4Wd.48713$SF.2935@lakeread08,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

That is a Hundai Heavy Industries crane transporter with a load of container
cranes. They will be unloading more stuff for Wallmart to sell. Hundai
builds them in Korea and ships them in one piece all over the world.

When they get along side the warf where the cranes will be installed the
ballast is adjusted to raise or lower the ship so the cranes can just roll
off onto the rail tracks that they will work on. I watched the process at
the Wando terminal in Charleston. Really something to see.

I saw an operation like that on (I think) the learning channel. They
had little five-foot-long chunks of track they hooked between the ship's
deck and the dock, then welded tracks down all the way from there to the
permanent tracks for the cranes. I'll bet it's quite a
scrotum-tightening experience for everyone involved when they start
rolling 'em off.
Right up there with cherry-picking the top of an off-shore drilling
rig onto the base. I'd love to work around that sort of crap.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/