I have the opportunity to buy a South Bend lathe. It is a 16"x12'

bed.
It won't turn but about 9' between centers though. It has a motor
with 4 v-belts jackshafted to a 4 step flat pully up to the

headstock.
It is fairly old (I think the headstock is babbit bearings) but is is

pretty good shape considering it has set in a tractor shed for the

last
10 years, getting a douche of diesel every month to keep it from
rusting. It has a 4 jaw chuck and he said there might be some other
tooling somewhere(?) I am a woodworker with dreams of turning long
bedposts on it if nothing else, but if it cheap enough I may sell it

and
buy some woodworking tools with the profit. I saw where one almost

like
it (10'bed) did not sell on Ebay for the $2750.00 start price.

What should I offer for this?

Thanks

Jamie Norwood

Jamie:

If you do get this lathe I hope you post some photos of moving it to
its new home. Are going to move this into your basement, maybe through
the house down the stairs? It should be a great project. As far as the
price goes, I think I would offer the owner that you will move it out
of tractor shed at no charge.