Grant Erwin

Hi Guys,

Is it feasible to run a Quincy QT-5,5 HP Air compressor off of a phase
converter? Would I be better off changing the motor to a single phase
unit? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe...

I've heard you can't, but more recently I've heard you can. Here is my
personal experience (i.e. not what I've read but what I've learned on
my own and know to be true): if you go for the rewiring you may find it
was wired for 440V 3 phase so the mag switch may not be large enough to
control a single-phase 5hp motor, and new mag switches big enough are
really expensive. Also, 5hp single-phase motors are expensive too. That
Quincy should unload after a cycle for easy starting (mine does) -- you
can check that with Quincy by calling them, that's one reason to deal
with a quality US company is you can just call 'em up. If it does unload,
then I'd think a phase converter is no problem. Double-check the voltage,
though. Lots and lots of big compressors came wired for 440V and yes,
the motors can be rewired for 220 but the controls are then not beefy
enough and you find yourself needing $250 worth of parts. - GWE