Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:14:47 GMT, "AutoTracer"
wrote:

There is no reason that the nightlight should not work. It soulds likly
that the GFCI receptacles in the bathroom are wired wrong. Check for
reversal of the hot and neutral that the line and load sides of the plug
were not swapped.

A light shouldn't care in a GFCI if swapped though, correct?

The hair drier probably had a GFCI device of its own and the toothbrush has
a sophisticated power supply as the front end while the nightlight is a
simple resistive load. Did the hairdrier and toothbrush have grounding
prongs on the cords and the nightlight not. That would indicate the neutral
wire is open to the receptacle.

Unfortunately neither.

Jeff

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
.. .
Talked with my mother last night, and when I show up for Sunday dinner
I need to make some repairs around the house (normal). But one is
confusing. Apparently, the GFCI outlets in the master bath won't run
a nightlight, but they do run an electric toothbrush and hair dryer.
The nightlight, a simple 7W bulb, works fine in non-GFCI outlets in
the bath as well as GFCI outlets in the other bath and kitchen. The
toothbrush and hair dryer apparently work fine in all the outlets.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff