Robert Allison

Gurus:

This summer we plan to replace our 24 year old shingled roof with
long-lasting dimensional shingles.

Contractors are pushing two schools of thought for the valleys.
1. Use pre-painted metal flashing. (This is what we have now.)
2. Use close cut shingles in the valley.

Which process would you recommend for the longest-lasting roof?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom
Milwaukee, WI

An extra layer of 30 pound felt in the valley, then 24" wide rolled
valley metal, then lace the shingles in the valley (closed valley).
The roofer may balk at lacing the shingles, but it is the best
method, so insist on it, unless you have different slopes on the two
sides of the valleys. If slopes are different, then go with the cut
closed valley.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.