Jon Weaver

Default Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall?

Clipping the power cables within the cavity to a leaf using convention
clips was not practical, so I devised a way to do this differently. I
also had in mind the rules about cables needing to be in a band of
150mm down from the top of a wall and at least 50 mm below a surface.

Hi Andy,

Glad you said that... Following advise from earlier posters, I was
tempted to bring the cables to the top of the leaf.. This would have
bought them to around 20-30mm from the top of the wall, and once the
'window sills' had gone in, less than 50mm below a surface.

I spoke to our office 'electrician' and doesn't see a problem leaveing
the cable in the cavity as it is.. Sure, its quite sharp down there,
but there is going to be very little (if any) movement once its all
finished and therefore little risk of damage in the future.

Now that the base and wall is finished, I don't really have much
choice.. As I said above, I could quite easily raise them to the top
of the walls, but then I would break the regulations (150mm and 50mm)
that you mention..

I simply can't win!

Many thanks for the advice.

Jon