Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be looking to replace a 30 yr old gas, forced hot air heating
furnace in a residence.

Read Consumers Research, and they "rate" American Standard as best,
with Rheem next.

Am always a bit leery with CR's ratings, as they seldom really go
into the methodology they use.

First you need to read the actual magazine story, not the annual report.
The magazine version usually gives good information about the methodology.
As someone noted the frequency of repair information comes from annual
surveys that they send out to their subscribers and maybe some others.

Anyway, there is such good advice on this forum, thought I'd ask here.

Is it the general consensous of you folks that American Standard
(and then Rheem) really are the
two top brands to consider for gas, forced hot air furnaces ?

Why ?

This is one area where I may question the results you get from CR. I am
generally a fan of their results, but in the case of this type of equipment
the installation is a very large part of the results you get. Poor job and
the best unit will not do well.

In this case you start by finding the professional who is going to do
the install. Then let them pick, with your input, the product for you.
They are going to pick something that is good and fits your needs.

Start off by asking your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers for
names and recommendations. Go from there. Get a couple of estimates.

Any to "absolutely" avoid ?

Might as well also ask: same manufacturer rating order for the split
type of A/C where the condenser is
placed outside the house ?

Thanks,
B.