SQLit

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Will be looking to replace a 30 yr old gas, forced hot air heating furnace
in a residence.

Read Consumers Research, and they "rate" American Standard as best, with
Rheem next.

Am always a bit leery with CR's ratings, as they seldom really go into the
methodology they use.

Anyway, there is such good advice on this forum, thought I'd ask here.

Is it the general consensous of you folks that American Standard (and

then
Rheem) really are the
two top brands to consider for gas, forced hot air furnaces ?

Why ?

Any to "absolutely" avoid ?

Might as well also ask: same manufacturer rating order for the split type
of A/C where the condenser is
placed outside the house ?

Thanks,
B.

The manufacture is not the most important part. The installer is.

Check out the seer and heat ratings for all of the units your going to
consider. Narrow it down to 4-5 models and then seek contractors. Make sure
that they do calculations. Not just "you got a 2 ton so we will replace it
with a 2 ton." Have them inspect your duct work and see if there are any
challenges that need to be corrected.

Check the guarantees and do not forget to call your utilities. They might
have rebates if you buy a certain level of equipment.

Personally when I change units again I will make damn sure that I get a
scroll compressor.