William W. Plummer

Remember that amplifier introduce noise themselves, reducing the S/N
ratio.

The distortion products of a good amplifier are far outweighed by the
amplifiers benefits.

And an amplifier can over drive the TV set. I had one that
was oscillating a bit.

Your AGC wasn't working correctly

You can't say that without seeing the setup. There AGC can only cope
with a certain range of signal and can't do miracles. I proved the
signal level was too high by putting in one (and two) 40db attenuators.

Without even knowing the type of amplifier I was using or its design,
you cannot say that it doesn't add a lot of noise. Noise is not a
"distortion product".