William W. Plummer

On 2 Mar 2005 04:03:49 -0800, "Mikepier"
wrote:

5. Use coaxial cable instead of twin lead as long as you have
a signal amplifier at the antenna.

As I said before, twin lead has lower loss than coax. If you had a
strong signal, maybe it would not matter, but if you are getting a weak
signal it will be greatly attenuated by the coax. You might not even
need the amplifier at the antenna if you use twin lead.

I've tried both methods for DX TV. As long as you use a good amplifier
at the antenna there will not be enough loss in the coax to create
a low signal level at the TV.

The disadvantage of twin lead even though it is lower loss is that
it is not shielded. This can and most likely will cause interference
with the desired signal present at the antenna. Interfering noise
can more easily be induced in twin lead as compared to coax.
The interference could come from sources like ignitions, electric
motors, fluorescent lights ect. Twin lead can also create ghosting,
especially at the lower frequencies.

Remember that amplifier introduce noise themselves, reducing the S/N
ratio. And an amplifier can over drive the TV set. I had one that
was oscillating a bit.