James \Cubby\ Culbertson

It sounds as though it's not to the "SWMBO Code" which says she wins
just about anytime she wants!
Cheers,
cc

"LenS" wrote in message
First, I'll admit that this is kind of silly, but I'm having a
difference with my wife and if there's any chance at all that I can
win, I want to!

We used to have a vertical toggle switch in our bathroom that
controlled both the lights and the exhaust fan. The fan annoyed my
wife so when the switch died recently, I replaced it with two switches
in a duplex housing and wired one switch for the lights and the second
switch for the fan. The new switches are horizontal so they'll fit
into the original circuit box. (Yes, I cautioned my wife to be sure to
run the fan when she was showering to exhaust the high humidity.)

Anyway, I positioned the switches so that the toggles were to the left
when the switches are OFF, and to the right when they're ON. My wife
says that's backwards, that the switches should be to the right for
OFF and to the left for ON.

Is there a right and wrong to this? Is there a code or something? Or
even a wiring convention (like it is conventional to position
vertical switches so they're in the up position for ON)?

I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions.

-Len