Philip Lewis

(Doug Miller) writes:
When someone asks "how do you do this?" and you tell him "this is how I
would do it" that *is* giving advice.

If someone asked how to change the behavior of a program,
and i say that "most programs can be changed in the source code" and
that "they should find a programmer" to do it.

Then I say that *I* would take the source code, modify it, and
recompile because i have had some programming experience. That does
not mean i think *they* should re-code it, nor does it make them a
programmer.

I did not cover the case of "If i went to the source and saw that it
was written in the language "Forth" (which i don't know) I wouldn't do
it.

My "advice" was that i *think* it can be done easily, and they should
call someone who is familiar with it.

That's correct as far as it goes, but it's not the whole story.
you don't seem aware that while 240V circuits nearly always have
*grounds*, they frequently do *not* have neutrals --

I did not ever say to connect a hot and ground to supply power. I
specifically said I would connect a neutral and hot together, and that
i would want to have a ground at the location as well. That choice of
wording specifically would seem to indicate that there was a
difference between the two, and that just perhaps, I knew the
difference between the two. Which is why I made it very clear that I
don't recommend they do what I said i would do.

In my original post, i see that i did screw up and say that there is
usually a neutral and sometimes a ground... My thought patterent went:
"I recall there are places when you can legally install a 120V
circuit which requires a neutral, so there must be a neutral in
there." I focused on the exception and generalized it. I screwed
up. (and i admited so in the first reply). Sorry.

Out of curiosity, If there is an unmarked white insulated wire in an
outlet, other than tracing it back to the circuit panel, is there a
way differentiate between neutral and ground? (Let's assume that it
wasn't hooked to a box ground lug and that we have no idea if it's
wired to code.)

In any case, we're mostly talking semantics and interpretation
now... which isn't helping this guy get his treadmill plugged in.

--
be safe.
flip