Dave P

Default Replacing windows: with/without adding lintels?

Time has come to replace my rotting timber single-glazed windows with modern
uPVC jobs; the only question is whether to diy or (argh) get in a Window
Replacement Company.

Problem is that I've discovered that although there are (concrete) lintels
fitted over the inner leaf of the cavity wall, there ain't nothing over the
outer leaf. Now, I have absolutely no doubt that if I go to a
FENSA-registered WRC plc, they will happily bung in new uPVC ones without
adding lintels, and until the frames start sagging in the middle, nobody
will be any the wiser. But if I diy, then I have to go through Building
Control don't I; and you can bet your life they will insist on lintels being
put in.

Is this synopsis about right? Are there 'special' uPVC windows available
which would legitimately obviate the need for fitting this lintel? I'm
looking at selling up pretty soon, so tbh I have to say I don't really have
a vested interest in ensuring the new windows last for 30 years...!

Finally - before I get into WRC plc hell, has anyone got a ballpark figure
for what I might be quoted for a full replacement job? It's a two bedroom
terraced with 7 reasonably large windows.

Cheers
Dave