Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

Now you're just being silly.

I just don't see how you can argue with this thing (Heath Robinson
lashup though it might be) being a drum sander.

I'm sorry its simply not what is recognised as a drum sander.

Incidentally, if he is hitting nails etc with his floor sander in his
quest to save damage to the blades on his thicknesser,

It's not the proud nails that are the problem - you can see those
beforehand and punch them through. It's the ones that snapped off at
the surface that you don't notice.

And they will still make s***e of his backing pads and abrasive sheets
;-)

I'm intrigued to know how he feeds this contraption and what, if any,
accuracy he gets with the thicknessing.

Pushing from the end. Don't let go, or it _will_ fire the board back
outwards. I never claimed it was safe !

Presumable he then has to have someone help him pull them through. A
floor sander has one hell of a kick as you would soon find out if you
placed it on a loose board so forcing a church pew under one while
attempting to take any sort of substantial cut is no mean feat and is
going to take a lot of force. Light cuts possibly but nothing heavy I
would imagine. How does he keep them aligned given that boards regularly
skew when being fed through a thicknesser

And lastly I would imagine most church pews would have a quite good
finish on them

Except for the ends, or any supporting bracketry.

_
pews either. The main reasons for thicknessing pews are to get the
finish off, and to bring them to a consistent thickness. In the same
workshop they also build furniture out of some of them.

Ahh the penny is beginning to drop. He is really only removing the
finish and surface grime so he should not really be taking very much of
a cut at all. .01mm should achieve that. But we are not really talking
about heavy drum sanding here are we ?

Incidentally I repeat what I said at the beginning of this thread. No
small drum sander is going to do what the o.p. requested, IMHO. I even
doubt if a very large industrial unit would do it.
--
Paul Mc Cann