Jerry G.

To convert the line frequency for your tape deck motor, requires a lot more
power than what these old clock kits can provide. The conversion is very
expensive, and it would be best know if the motors, or a pulley, or some
other parts can be changed in the tape deck to make it work at the proper
speed.

I would think that if the tape deck is a high quality one, it uses a servo
lock system that is independent from the AC mains frequency. I used to see
the AC mains frequency used in the lower cost home type audio equipment many
years ago.

Your tape deck probably has a servo lock problem. This can be a bit involved
to service. It would be difficult without the service manual, and any
proprietary parts on hand, if the problem is more than a simple connection.

Normally these tape decks are very good when they work properly. The servo
lock should be very accurate.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Kim Sleep" wrote in message
. ..

A friend of mine has recently acquired a brand new Uher professional tape
deck. I have not had a chance to look at it, but according to him it has the
following problem:

(snip) I tried various cassettes from my library and they all seem about 20%
faster. So, I tried to record a A440 oscillator tone and used an electronic
tuner to watch what it was doing. It played back but the speed slightly was
changing throughout. I didn't measure voltage, just pitch.

Now, there is a yellow LED that says 'variable' which I'm assuming has
something to do with either servo or motor speed. When rewinding, the lamp
stays lit - but upon record or PB it was flickering at different rates. As I
have no manual, I'm not certain what the LED is for and the U.S. Uher fixer
wouldn't even answer my question. (His reply: "Send it in, we'll fix it".)
Wouldn't even tell me *what* the yellow LED indicates!!!! (Asshole!)

My suspicion is this was a European model and it's getting it's motor speed
from line voltage. Of course, the 50 HZ / 60 HZ make sense right? If it's a
import, regardless of the voltage - which I know is correct - would the
motor need to be changed if the unit was originally intended to be run at 50
hz? That's my question. Just give me your thoughts, a guess or a stab in the
dark. If you search Uher repairs - everything is in Kraut. The guy at SMC /
Nixontapes he calls himself - is the only guy I could find.(snip)

Anyone have any ideas?
And if it is truly a unit that requires 50hz, is there a power supply
conversion that can be done. I remember back in the 80s there were a ton of
kits that would allow 12volt clock kits to be used in cars, by supplying a
60 hz source into the dc supply.

--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"

--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"