Fly-by-Night CC

In article .com,
"edog" wrote:

that's just it. I don't plan on using the beadboard panel sheets. They
look a bit cheap to me. I plan on either 1) making my own beadboard
out of tongue and groove 1/2" planks or by the beadboard strips I think
they are 5/8" and they look a lot better than the panelled sheets.

I did this in my bathroom a year and a half ago. Made my own bead boards
(2.375" wide x 32" tall) from pine - the sheet goods just don't look
like the real thing. I went with horizontal furring strips, about 1.5"
wide, with no barrier of any kind between the surfaces. Then used an 18g
brad nailer to fix the bead boards to the strips. I absolutely hate
construction adhesive for these types of applications.

Here's a quick pic:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/beadboard.JPG

As to the outlets, you can buy extension boxes made for this purpose.
Look into what depths are available before you decide on the furring
strip and bead board final thickness. If the extensions are, say 1"
depth, you don't want too little thickness so the boxes project from the
surface and you don't want too much so the receptacle ears are bent or
strained.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company