Denis Marier

I remember when working in engineering design for international companies.
One of the prerequisite for employment was that "If during the course of
your employment you created, designed, invent, facilitate, reduce
production cost or improve machinery's the drawings and procedures made by
you shall remind the property of the employers. The common weaver was that
the employer had the right to get your idea patented and only pay you $1.00
for your invention. Failing to sign this weaver a designer was not hired.
If your idea is not patented or duly recognized by a legal body and accepted
by the law of the land your have a mammoth task to prove in a court of law
that you are the first one that created, invented or wrote the operational
philosophy and so on. One interesting song is "I did it my way" who was the
real creator of that song? FWIW

"Will" wrote in message
Patents are not relevant here. Must go. Can say more later if you wish.

Sorry...

Denis Marier wrote:
IP (Intellectual Property) is part of every government contracts and

many
others.
In Canada we rely on common law (except in Quebec where they use a civil
code) and most of the decisions are made on jurisprudence (the number of
court cases that took place in the past and how they were settled).
So far, at this time, I do not know of any jurisprudence relating to
woodturning. If any one find valid court cases I would appreciate

hearing
about them.
The trick is to get someone to registered and issued a valid and legal
patent for your work.
A patent may be declared valid and legal in one country and not in the
other. The intent, the application and enforcement of a patent is

quite a
challenge in today's world.

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article _4iVd.34381$ab2.8712@edtnps89,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

there is some good stuff here guys, I appreciate this debate. There has

be raised the question, however , of what is being plagiarized, if

anything?

I was at a syposium where David Ellsworth was demonstrating. He had a
display of his hollow forms on a table at the Instant Gallery. One of

them

was a small form in ash priced at $900.00 US. On a near by table was a

small

hollow form in ash, obviously inspired by David's work. It was valued

at
$100.00 US. While someone else could have told the differences between

the

pieces, the only discernable one to me was the signature on the bottom.
David has worked long and hard for it and deserves the accolades in my
opinion. When it comes to art the original artist is the one who gets

the

accolades, the rest of us may immitate but until we find our own

"voice"

we

are only in the style.

Maybe I missed your point Darrell, but did you support your question -
What, if anything, is being plagarized? I thought you were going to
discredit the plagarism debate but it seems to me your observation is
pretty clear that Ellsworth's "look" was plagarized and it left you with
strong feelings in support of Ellsworth.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek