Ignoramus2810 wrote:
On 3 Mar 2005 13:59:36 -0800,

wrote:
Mid-range is a belt drive with an oil-filled compressor, these have
alloy pumps with iron sleeves. I've also seen a direct drive with

the
same features, I wasn't able to find a motor plate with the speed,
though.

High-end is the all-iron pump with belt drive, these tend to be on

the
heavy end for portable operation, you aren't likely to sling one

into
the back of a pickup single-handled.

Stan, how can I tell a mid-range unit from a high-end unit by just
looking at them? I am curious if my Curtis compressor is high end or
midrange, according to your description.

Magnet maybe? The ones with alloy crankcases and iron sleeves are
pretty shiny, too, quite evident that they're cast out of aluminum.
Cast iron pumps look like, well, cast iron. Hefty, too.

Stan