trumpy81

: I just recently purchased a 17" benchtop drill press from a industrial
: supplier. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the distance from the
: spindle to the table is a max of 18" and I really need it to be 24"
: for me to do what I'm looking to drill. I talked to the supplier and
: there isn't much they can do. I can get a longer column sent but at a
: premium price where it'd be just as cheap to buy a new drill press of
: proper size. The column is 80 mm (3-1/8") OD. Can someone pass
: along some advice as to how I might go along with extending the
: column length so i don't need to scrap this drill press and shell out
: more money for a new one?

GDay Scott,
If your DP has a swiveling head, then why not mount it on a
suitable bench and simply swivel the the head to the side or even the rear
and drill whatever you need to drill that way??

You could possibly clamp the part to the bench or perhaps mount it in a
vice on the floor, whatever works for you.

Cheers
Andy