Karl Townsend

It wouldn't be cost effective and/or they wouldn't have enough torque. For
example my CNC knee mill has 880 oz/in servos. They make 10 revolutions to
move the table an inch. You'd have to get 8800 oz/in linear motor to do the
same. That's 50 lb.ft. I remember buying linear motors that big when I
worked at 3M for $5000 or so. My servos are on Ebay every day for $300.

Karl

"Paul Ragot" wrote in message
Has anybody built a small cnc using linear motors?
I am toying with the idea of building a small high speed mill/router and
am
wondering if using linear motors is a good idea and where to find some.
Brand names seem pretty expensive.
I would like to have feedrates of at least 1000 ipm so that eliminates
stepper motors.
Travels would be at least 12" if not 24" on all 3 axes.

Also, what could be used for spindle? Ideally 10,000 rpm

--
Paul