Joe AutoDrill

One more quick idea... Not likely to work, but if you need a machine and
you're not going to buy another, this might give some folks some ideas...
Cut the column up near the drill press head (leave 2" or more) and make a
split sleeve out of a larger pipe that can be clamped outside the column's
OD. Use some good collars to squeeze the split pipe down on both ends...

I'd personally cut a single slot about 2" long in the end of the "extension
pipe" on both ends and keep the rest of the pipe as solid as possible. I'd
also use the thickest wall pipe I could find with the proper / appropriate
ID dimension.

Alternately, you could do the same to the column and insert a solid bar
inside to keep the overall OD of the column area smaller.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I just recently purchased a 17" benchtop drill press from a industrial
supplier. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the distance from the
spindle to the table is a max of 18" and I really need it to be 24" for
me to do what I'm looking to drill. I talked to the supplier and there
isn't much they can do. I can get a longer column sent but at a premium
price where it'd be just as cheap to buy a new drill press of proper
size. The column is 80 mm (3-1/8") OD. Can someone pass along some
advice as to how I might go along with extending the column length so i
don't need to scrap this drill press and shell out more money for a new
one?

Can you simply remove the table and if so, is there at least 24.5" from
base to spindle?