Yes, get an inspection. Dont rely on HUD, the warranty, or any of that
to make a bit of difference. Also get a GOOD inspector who truly works
for you, not one that just helps real estate agents see to it that
sales go thru. That's easier said than done. As one person pointed
out, in some states inspectors aren't even licensed. The same is true
for builders. Those 10 yr warranties are mostly an illusion. And,
sometimes the reason people foreclose on a new house, (I assume that's
why HUD is selling it), is due to construction defect complaints they
couldn't get any results on, predatory lending that got them into a
house they couldn't afford, etc. Be careful you don't just pick up
where they left off, with a junky house or paying too much for it, etc.
The type of inspector you want, as a buyer, is known as a "deal
killer."

wrote:
I recently won a bid for a HUD home. HUD appraisel was 150K. The
cheapest proeprty I actually found on the market in the same
neighborhood was 184K. I won the bid for 137K so I have room to

spare.
(House needs paint, carpet, appliances, light fixtures)

Additionally, the house was built in the year 2000 so it is 5 years
old and the builder that built it claims to offer a 10 year,
transferrable warranty. Finally, understanding that HUD isn't going

fix any problems I may find and I am reasonably confident I can

perform
most common home repairs myself, why should I pay/hire a home
inspector?

Thanks.
Anthony