DIY Novice

Default Stripping and painting cast-iron fireplaces

We've got cast-iron fireplaces in each of our 3 bedrooms which have
serveral layers of paint on them which I want to remove.
We've just skimmed the bedroom walls so the fireplaces can't be
removed though we haven't yet painted(or carpeted) so a little mess
isn't such a big issue.

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.
I also don't want to spend weeks at the job as I've got a lot of other
stuff that needs doing.
I've seen this stuff called Home Strip from www.ecosolutions.co.uk
which sounds promising.
Has anybody used this successfully?
Also my other half would like to paint the fireplaces in white. What
type of paint would you recommend.
The house is Edwardian (1903) and the fireplaces will not be used to
burn anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.